Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hypocrisy, and other ills

Check out this piece about green hypocrisy, perhaps the most potent form of hypocrisy out there right now. When the doomsayers start acting like it really is the end of the world, then perhaps I will have an easier time of believing them. It's not about whether global warming is occurring or not (see my previous post about this), but about how to address the problem, and whether radical solutions are necessary. It really bugs me to have these idiots preach at me, when they obviously aren't willing to make the sacrifices that they want the rest of us to make. I really liked the fact that Ms. Portman has a line of vegan footwear.

Vegan footwear--who knew?

I also liked this one about the UN Food Summit in Rome--that's Rome, not Zimbabwe, or Darfur, or Myanmar. Nice to see these guys are really cutting back this year.

Speaking of Myanmar, the UN also recently sent 200,000 condoms to the victims of the cyclone. A total of 218 400 condoms would be delivered, UNFPA aid advisor Chaiyos Kunanusont said.

"We don't want regular use of contraception disrupted. An emergency usually damages the health system, so people don't have access to condoms and contraceptives," said Chaiyos. 'Cause that's the first thing on your mind when your paddling through the flood waters, trying to keep your self afloat--I hope I can find some condoms REAL SOON.

I just read that the US Navy has now withdrawn a fleet of ships carrying REAL aid to the citizens of that country, after making numerous attempts to land there.

Sigh. Exactly what is the function of the UN again?

No comments: