Friday, March 20, 2009

A long 4 years?

I wasn't going to post something new on politics today. I was even going to let the whole "Special Olympics" thing go--it was a stupid gaffe, but I don't think anyone believes that Obama is mean to cripples.

It is a question of balance, though. I use the word hypocrisy a lot, and I've come to realize that maybe that isn't what I'm getting angry about. There is hypocrisy everywhere, everyday, in everyone; it's part of our humanity, part of what makes us human.

Balance is a lot closer to what I'm trying to capture. Imagine if Bush had made the same comment that Obama did on Leno; how do you think the press would have reacted, and more importantly, for HOW LONG? Remember, this is the Hope and Change guy we are talking about; he was so much smarter and better than the others, so well-spoken. He was going to bring a fresh new face to our relations with our international friends and enemies.

The Anchoress says it best:
Can you IMAGINE what the press and the Dems would have done with the Irish PM Teleprompter gaffe (the press has helpfully embargoed the video, so Obama doesn’t have to see it playing 24/7, as Bush would have - had Bush so gaffed). Can you IMAGINE what the press and the Dems would have done if Bush had given the Prime Minister of Great Britain a lousy pack of 50 “Classic” DVD’s that didn’t work in the UK?

Yeah, I know--she's just an overweight, self-centered nag. Read the article--see what she has to say, and maybe try not to worry about her appearance.
I just heard about the region code gaffe with the British Prime Minister's DVD "gift:"
While not exactly a film buff, Gordon Brown was touched when Barack Obama gave him a set of 25 classic American movies – including Psycho, starring Anthony Perkins - on his recent visit to Washington.

Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.

The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen...


Is this really the guy everybody voted for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wasn't going to respond to this but...

If you're looking for balance, I wouldn't go to the anchoress. heh!

I'm starting to think that you and me are the good and evil side of the same person, like in some bad 70's scary movie. I'll leave it to you to figure out who is who.

Small Town Doc said...

Well--I'm pretty sure I'm Ray Milland ("a white bigot who needed a new body")--or maybe I'm Rosie Grier ("a black soul brother who needed time to prove his innocence").

We are (da da daaaahhh) "THE THING WITH TWO HEADS."

But you're right--It's like being on a bus, and the countryside rolls along beside you, and if you look out one window, you see things completely different than if you look out the other window.

Dude--you should quit looking out that other window!